Friday, January 16, 2009

Roo's Middle School Experience Update

As many of you know, my oldest daughter, Roo (sometimes known as Eeyore-which she doesn't like, but is true none-the-less). is in middle school this year after being homeschooled last year. I haven't posted very much about her this year so I thought, in all fairness, I should give her a little screentime.

Middle school has been a very interesting experience for the whole family. As with all things that involve Roo, nothing is easy or straightforward. She's our first. That means that all experiences are new experience for all of us. This makes life very exciting.

So far this year, she has done very well adjusting to her classes and has maintained an "A" average in all but two of her classes (English and Social Studies are her "B" classes). It seems that this is the year for academics to start "clicking" for her. Praise God!

Socially, she has made strides toward making new friends and is learning how to choose good friends who treat her with kindness and respect, verses bad friends who take advantage of her and use her. Making new friends has always been a struggle for her, but I am happy to report that she keeps trying, despite two bad experiences. She is positive and upbeat and seems to enjoy going to school for the most part.

We had a rocky start in the communication department earlier in the year, but recently, I have noticed a marked improvement. She is opening up, and I have learned to quiet my reaction to whatever she has to say. Apparently, me overreacting was not encouraging her to open up...I can't imagine why:-)

Lately, she has been asking to have more time with me, and she is beginning to express an interest in exercise. So, I have started taking her to the gym with me from time to time. She has also asked to go for early morning walks again. I'm thinking that might work out 1 or 2 times a week.

My darling Roo. She has such a caring and compassionate heart for everyone (except her little sisters). I pray that her heart will not harden as a result of difficult experiences, but that instead her compassion would grow. I am so thankful that God saw fit to put us in charge of her upbringing.

No comments: