Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Coming soon...

Over the next few weeks I will be posting a series about my journey from depression and anxiety to a healthier, happier me. A dear friend, Lainie from Mishmash Maggie, asked if I would write something for her to post on her blog about this topic, and as I began to write I felt the Lord leading me to expand on it and post it here as well.

I know that many men and women suffer from depression and anxiety. Some suffer far greater than I do. My hope and prayer is that whatever your situation is, you can benefit from what I have learned. I brushed my depression and anxiety off for years believing that it was not that bad. But that was a lie. Just because I do not need to be hospitalized, does not mean that I should live with these feelings for the rest of my life. I was doing myself and my family a grave disservice by not doing something to improve my quality of life.

I will begin by sharing my story, what depression and anxiety looked like in my life, how I believe I've been perceived by others, and what caused me to begin this journey toward health and happiness. Along the way, I will be discussing my food choices over the years in order to show later how making a few changes here and there greatly impacted my mental and physical well being. I'm not a nutritionist, but through research and trial and effort I am learning how my body reacts to certain foods.

For the record, I am still very much a work in progress. I have not reached the end of my journey yet, and most likely never will. However, God has placed people, information, and resources in my life at this moment so that I may begin this process of healing. There's no quick fix, but I will share how I very quickly felt the effects of my dietary changes and how that has encouraged me to continue.

I hope if you are someone who struggles with depression and anxiety on some level, that you will be encouraged.

Blessings,
Kim

No comments: