Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Me, myself, the guinea pig... Days 1 and 2

I'm running a little experiment on myself. Do you ever do that? My latest is to test the effects of water on my system. I don't usually drink enough water. I drink coffee instead. They're both liquid, I drink them, so what's the difference, right?

There is a big difference. Logically, I'm aware of the many differences that water vs. coffee can have on my body, but I thought it was time to put my body to the test.

Two days ago I started drinking more water. A lot more. I went from 8-16 oz a day to 64oz a day. Amazing! The first day that I drank all that water I also had coffee, but only one small coffee mug, and I didn't even finish it. Here's what happened:

1. I peed a ton!
2. I peed some more!
3. I ate less and felt hungry less often.
4. I felt less tired and irritable the next day
5. I slept better that night.

Those are all really good things. I've read about these effects on the body and many others as well, but it's been a really long time since I last made any effort at all to keep track of how much water I am drinking.

I like this.

Yesterday, day 2, I also drank 64 oz of water. It was a little more difficult because of my work schedule, but I managed to get it all in. I also made a bigger effort to choose healthier foods - fresh fruits and veggies, oatmeal for breakfast, etc...Overall I felt really good.

I still had my cup of coffee though. I held out until almost 11am before I caved! I really want to kick the coffee habit, but I think I may have to go off it gradually rather than cold turkey. One thing I've noticed is that the idea of drinking coffee is much more appealing to me than the actual taste of coffee. My prayer is that eventually my brain will catch up with my tastebuds!

If you have any suggestions, thoughts, motivating stories or general comments for me about this or any other topic, or you just want to say hi and let me know that you're out there and that I'm not sitting here typing to myself. I'd LOVE to hear from you! I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who has ever tried to drink more water or kick the coffee habit, so please share your experiences here and bless me and others who might be trying to do the same thing. You'll be glad you did:-)

Have a wonderful day!

Kim (Kanga-Mom)

4 comments:

Jennie said...

You make me laugh...you're like, begging for comments there at the end. :) I, as well, am horrible about drinking enough water. I think the time in my life when I was best at it was when I had a Nalgene bottle and would make it my goal to drink 2 of them per day. That made it seem a lot easier for me...mentally, it seemed less daunting than saying I had to drink 64oz. Although, it's the same. :)

Kim said...

Yes, I'm not too proud to beg, LOL! It's nice to have a little interaction, and it keeps me sane. Talking to myself...not so much. Chatting with friends...Much better!

Thanks for the suggestions and have a great day!

Lainie said...

Hey Kim, my friend Stacey told me about the "dot" method of keeping track of water if you're a bottled water user. This gal opens a bottle of water and using a Sharpie puts a dot of the cap. When she's emptied it, she refills the same bottle and puts another dot on the cap and she keeps using the same bottle for that day until she has all her "dots." The next day she starts again with a fresh bottle.

Another way to keep track!

Good job on the water consumption by the way. I used to be good about water but after recently started drinking less. Thanks for motivating me to be pro-active again!

Kim said...

I like the dot idea. I was thinking about doing the same exact thing. I do used just one water bottle/day and refill it 4 times, but sometimes I do forget how often I've filled it. I'll try the dot idea.