Monday, July 28, 2008

How do you spell "relief"? A N-E-W S-C-H-O-O-L Y-E-A-R!

Now ask me in December if I still feel this way and the answer will be much different, but right now, it feels so good to be starting school again here! We all have enjoyed the time off (We finished up last year mid-May), but the girls are restless and bored, and we are all ready for a schedule, a routine, some challenge. So, we started our "easing into school" process last week. We did this last year and I loved it so we're doing it again. What I do is start #1 (that's my oldest 11 year old daughter) on her basics first... you know the 3R's. Then once we get our groove with those (usually a week or so) we start adding in bits of the rest of our curriculum. By the time September rolls around we are at full swing and over the first major growing pains of starting school. This method also allows us to finish school a few weeks ahead of our public school counterparts which #1 really likes (she's a little bit competitive and I have NO idea where she gets it:-)) So, we are back in the swing of things and loving it! Praise God!

2 comments:

Toni said...

I'm envious. We won't start until after Labor Day. It's a silly hang-up of mine but I just can't seem to start sooner. I *want* to, but it just never happens (and truth be told, I'm so not ready yet).

Have a GREAT year in MFW and thanks for stopping by my blog. I love it when I see someone I "know."
Blessings,
~Toni~

Kim said...

Hi Toni! thanks for stopping by and posting. As you can see, I'm new to blogging so it's exciting to have someone check it out.

I love MFW. The people who post on the message boards are such a wonderful group and so resourceful. I'm learning a ton!

When I start early, I'm not ready either for the whole curriculum yet, but as we go we get ready and tht works great with my personality. I guess that's another reason why I like the rolling start. The 3R's don't require a lot of prep for me, and dd can self direct with those subjects enough to allow me time to work on getting ready for the rest of the curriculum.

Your blog is so sweet. I'm still catching up on Mighty Joe's story, but, Wow! So far it's amazing.

Have a wonderful year!
Kim